About Me

My photo
Lapsed anthropologist-turned-burlesque performer and post-modern punk housewife/homesteader living in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with a hunky husband, gorgeous daughter, adorable corgi, fluffy rabbit, and three clucking fabulous chickens.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Dust Ruffle Bunny

Butterscotch is almost 4 months old! I can hardly believe it! It seems like just yesterday I was dreaming of bringing my adorable baby bunny home. Being that she's almost 4 months old, it is high time for a hare cut. See what I did there?

German angoras do not molt, so they need to have their wool sheared every three to four months in order to prevent wool block. Since this is Butters' first shearing, she was understandably uncooperative and skittish. I used regular long bladed craft scissors(since I had them on hand and cannot afford shears yet) and started by clipping the wool off her back in small tufts, being careful to avoid second cuts(bits of fluff that get caught up in the tuft being sheared, resulting in shorter staple lengths). Over two sessions I was able to get all her prime fiber and some of her secondary fiber, but I won't be able to get her sides, chest, or belly, until Mr. Bear can help me keep her still.

She has a decorative dust ruffle, currently.

After putting up with two shearing sessions, she earned herself a good long play session without any fuss from me.

Apparently nibbling my skirt seemed appropriate payback for making her bald.

I gave her a nice pile of towels to burrow in and play with.



Oh no! The scissors!

I got more fiber off her than I would have thought for a young bunny. She's going to be much larger when she's full grown, so I forsee a lot of shearing in the future.

A large bowl of primary angora.

A start on the Secondary Angora.

The angora is so soft that when you press your hand into the bowl full of it, you can barely feel it against your skin. I'm planning on spinning her primary fiber(blended with some wool for memory) between now and the wedding and knitting them up into a pair of wedding wristers. Specifically these. So pretty.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...