About Me

My photo
Lapsed anthropologist-turned-burlesque performer and post-modern punk housewife/homesteader living in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with a hunky husband, gorgeous daughter, adorable corgi, fluffy rabbit, and three clucking fabulous chickens.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pastry Party 2012!





Celebrating non-heteronormative relationships with baked goods!

So, my good friend Matt brought this Jezebel article to my attention a few weeks ago. If you have no desire to read it or watch the video(and I completely understand), the run-down is that this man leads Christian-based sex education lectures, and has some interesting ideas about how gay people have sex. Now, while I respect everyone's right to their beliefs, I personally find the belief that homosexuality is wrong/shameful/unnatural to be abhorrent. So when I got to the part of the video in which the lecturer explained his views on homosexuality(using carrots and doughnuts as metaphors for male and female anatomy, respectively) by stating that men were not created to sword-fight and women were not created to have pastry parties, two thoughts immediately occurred to me;


A. Is that how he thinks gay men have sex?
and
B. A pastry party sounds like a freaking fantastic idea!


 Butterscotch and Peppermint Chocolate Meringues



 I invited a bunch of my queer, lesbian, bisexual, and ally friends over for a Pastry Party, where the wine flowed, cookies and cobbler were baked, and conversations about sexuality and heteronormativity were had. It was delightful.








 Making pumpkin snickerdoodles with pumpkin spice kisses on top.








 Chocolate-covered cherry cookies, pre-ganache.


 Just because we don't support dogmatic heteronormative gender roles doesn't mean we don't love aprons.



 I love my hostess apron. It is red, sheer, and covered in teeny-tiny white dots.







 Everyone went home with a cookie sampler plate.







 Mmmm...chocolate-covered cherry.


 Ponyo was pretty excited about all the food.




 Peach cobbler.


 




Of course, after everyone cleared out, I realized that all I'd eaten all day were cookies and cobbler...and also that "pastry party" is my new favorite euphemism for lesbian sex.

Edited to add: This post was featured on Offbeat Home, and there are some pretty fun conversations going in the comments. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...