About Me

My photo
Lapsed anthropologist-turned-burlesque performer and post-modern punk housewife/homesteader living in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with a hunky husband, gorgeous daughter, adorable corgi, fluffy rabbit, and three clucking fabulous chickens.

Monday, May 2, 2011

In Defense of Grannies

This post over on The Purl Bee expresses perfectly my perturbation at all the craft books/magazines/sites/etc. that all too often use the tagline "Not your Granny's X". My grandmothers are amazing women who work a kind of witchcraft my generation has forgotten. They can get stains out of anything, their needlework and stitchwork is beyond anything I can aspire to, their kitchens turn out culinary masterpieces and their gardens look like paintings. I should be so lucky to knit like my grandmothers, sew like them, bead like them. Maybe your grandmother couldn't stitch a blanket to save her life, but leave my grandmother's handiwork out of it!

Parenthetically, I think this may need to be my next quilting project:


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...