About Me

My photo
Lapsed anthropologist-turned-burlesque performer and post-modern punk housewife/homesteader living in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with a hunky husband, gorgeous daughter, adorable corgi, fluffy rabbit, and three clucking fabulous chickens.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 1: Self Portrait


A cursory glance over the list of challenges shows me today's assignment is the one I will have the most trouble with. I hate self portraits. But here it is. Days 2, 6, and 29 will also be difficult, but I suppose one of the purposes of this challenge is to get you to work outside your comfort zone.
However, in the process of trying to take a self-portrait in which I do not look angry or uncomfortable(my face's two default positions, apparently), I discovered my hair has grown out long enough that I can start parting it on the other side again. Hurrah!

Aside from taking awkward photos, I made vichyssoise today! Without the chicken stock, naturellement. I hope Mr. Bear enjoys it, he's been having a rough week.

Vichyssoise Recipe:

3 TBS butter
1 large leek, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup white wine
6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/2" pieces
3 sprigs fresh lemon thyme, minced
5 cups water
salt, pepper, other seasonings as desired
minced green onion, for garnish

Melt butter over medium heat in large skillet. Add leek and garlic, saute for about 15 minutes or until leek is extremely soft. Turn heat up to medium high. Add white wine, cook for two minutes. Turn down to medium low, add potatoes and thyme. Stir in 5 cups water, let simmer for about an hour, or until potatoes are falling-apart-soft. Use immersion blender or food processor(or do like I did and pour the whole shebang into a blender and hit 'liquefy'!) to blend until smooth.
I also added some vegetarian "chicken" pieces, finely diced and sauteed in liquid smoke and bacon salt to suit Mr. Bear's omnivorous palate.
Vichyssoise is traditionally served cold, but is also delicious warm.

Minced green onions to garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...