About Me

My photo
Lapsed anthropologist-turned-burlesque performer and post-modern punk housewife/homesteader living in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with a hunky husband, gorgeous daughter, adorable corgi, fluffy rabbit, and three clucking fabulous chickens.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Displaying Your Pasties


My friend Crystal is hosting a burlesque art show at the bar she works at, and while others in the troupe have done actual paintings inspired by their performance art, I went a different route.

After a show, all my pasties tend to just get tossed into a ziploc and end up on the closet shelf. Very occasionally I'll reuse a pair for another act, but since I usually make a new pair for each act I do, I've ended up accumulating quite a collection. I think they're quite pretty, what with all the rhinestones and glitter, and it seems a shame to hide them away. Much better to put them on the walls!

To make my display, I first assembled the burlesque paraphernalia I wanted to show off. In this case, a stack of pasties and a novelty ticket from the last show.


 I bought four frames from the dollar store and used a matte black spray paint we already had to paint them.


 Next, I took some sticky-back foam, which I also already had, and cut it down to fit inside the three smaller frames.


 I peeled off the backing and stuck them to the cardboard backs of the frames.


 Then I played with the arrangement of the pasties inside the frames, making sure they would fit how I wanted them.


 I used hot glue to place them, removing one pasty at a time and using the remaining pasty as a gauge for placement. Once they were set, I popped the back into the frame and secured it with the little metal tabs built into the frame.


 The ticket I simply folded to fit the frame and popped it in. Easy peasy!



After the art show is taken down at the end of September, I'll be hanging these on my wall, along with a selection of other large props and photographs from the shows. Burlesque pride!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Do you have a tutorial for how to make them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a show coming up, so I will be posting a tutorial in the next couple months.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...